Advanced Psychotherapy Techniques
by Allan Abbass, MD
About half of all psychotherapy clients have little to no response—or can even worsen—in treatment. Why? They unknowingly use treatment-defeating behaviors, or resistances, that prevent emotional closeness and successful collaboration with the therapist.
Reaching through Resistance will help you
• detect treatment resistance from the first client contact
• understand the emotional factors behind resistance
• discern various degrees and forms of resistance
• recognize signs of anxiety in the body
• activate and monitor unprocessed, unconscious impulses and feelings
• turn a client against his/her long-held defeating behaviors
• regulate intense anxiety when emotions are activated
• mobilize the client’s unconscious wish to become well
• recognize signs of a powerful healing force: the unconscious therapeutic alliance
By detecting avoidance patterns and using specific interventions developed to handle them, you can empower a collaborative, vigorous treatment alliance with your client.